Saturday, May 15, 2010

We've come a long way, Baby!

Cale and Jared have each had 2 baseball games in the last 3 days. (Yes, the math figures out to 4 games in 3 days!) We've been to games in Gilbert, Jewell and Ellsworth. We've figured out who has the best concession stands. (Gilbert HANDS DOWN! Where else can you get a walking taco and a hot dog for only $2.50! I can't afford to feed everyone at home for that!) We've figured out who has the best bathrooms, and the best parking. We're getting it all figured out!

As a little bit of history, baseball has never been a natural thing for Cale. He has to work at it, and frankly, it's been painful as his mother to watch. He went all through 3rd. and 4th. grade without a hit. 5th. grade rolled around and he DID NOT want to play. Keith made him. I was ready to let him throw in the towel, because it was no longer fun for him. Success =Fun. He got a few hits in 5th. grade and suddenly it was fun. Fast forward to 6th. grade and he's having a GREAT time!! Last night he went 2 for 3 with an RBI and he scored a run. Defensively, he caught a line drive while playing 2nd (Mom swears that it was traveling at the speed of light!) He didn't miss a beat, and threw it to 1st. for the double play. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! I couldn't have been more proud!! He got another hit today and is currently riding a 5 game hitting streak! WAY-TO-GO!!

Now, Jared is in 3rd. grade. He's afraid of getting hit by a pitch and I cringe whenever he's up to bat. He's yet to get a hit this year. He acts just like Cale did. I've been down this road before, and I just want him to have some success. Remember Success = Fun! He, too, is ready to throw in the towel, but Keith won't let him. Today, I was sitting at his game...1 out left in the game, 1 runner on and here comes my Jared to the plate. I know he's got it in him and I'm about to barf from my nerves. He's got a count of 2 balls and no strikes and here comes the ball down the pipe and my Jared TOOK THAT BALL FOR A RIDE!!! I jumped out of my seat (bad foot and all!) and was screaming and jumping up and down! Ask our friends who were behind us...they're still talking about Jared's Mom but I don't care! Jared was in with a stand up double and one run had scored! I couldn't have been more happy for him or more proud!! I nearly cried on the spot! Today he had FUN!!

I haven't had my camera at any of the games this year, but they are not over, so I will. Be patient! We went out for Mexican tonight and then we decided that a stop at Dairy Queen was in order. This is one happy and proud Mama tonight!


We've come a long way, Baby!

1 comment: