Monday, May 17, 2010

Back on My Feet Again! (OK, I'm Back on my FOOT again!)

On April 12, I had bunion surgery on my right foot. I had a very similar surgery on both feet when I was 21....I'm now 42, so I'm right on schedule! ;) They shaved some of the bone off of the side and then moved 2 small bones and a tendon under the big toe. That will help the big toe straighten up. I was having pain and also had blisters on the side of my foot whenever I wore shoes. I love flip-flops!! I was first told this surgery was in my future about 5 1/2 years ago. I kept putting it off, and then once I had all of the kids in school, I decided it was time. This pre-surgery picture was actually taken because I was standing in green grass in Palm Springs during February. It was a long winter in Iowa, and that grass felt GREAT!!!

This was the view the night of my surgery. Yes, there is a baseball game on TV. It was the home opener for the Cardinals, after all! ;) Jared thought that we needed a picture of the bottom of my foot, too, so thank him for that one!



Just a few pictures of me and THE BOOT! Ended up wearing it for a month and another week off and on, depending on what I was doing. (I wore it on a couple of field trips just to protect it from little hooligans!) It really wasn't too bad. I sort of got use to wearing a constant ankle weight!




My collection of left shoes! These were the ones that I wore the whole time. They were about the same height as my boot so I wouldn't limp. Keith even commented one night that he was tired of finding just 1 shoe all of the time! Umm....I can only wear one, remember? "Oh, that's right!"

This is what my foot looked like about 3 weeks ago. The dots are marking where my bone is, and there is some swelling. The smudge in the middle of the foot is where the doctor wrote "Yes!!" (It's important to operate on the correct foot!) My big toe will now be shorter then the next toe. And yes,...I know I have long, skinny toes! And I need a pedicure, too!

I am wearing both of my walking shoes most of the time now. (Except I have been known to wear both flip-flops for short periods in the house. My feet just get too hot in shoes all the time!) Here was my view the other night while I was watching TV after the kids went to bed. I already knew that tennis shoes and jammies weren't the best looking combination, but Keith confirmed that when he walked in and laughed at me! Thanks, Honey.

I just can't wait until I'm up and running again! OK...so I don't run....but I am looking forward to being good as new again, but I'm trying to be patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment