Saturday, May 28, 2011

School's Out for Summer!

Thursday was the kids' last day of school. Wow! With only 2 snow days, this year went FAST!! Trevor is the only one that allowed me to take his picture on the last day. The last 10 days of 1st grade were spent at "Camp Skeeter." They did different crafts and camp activities. We even sent him a letter for mail call, and we got one back telling us all about what he was doing at Camp Skeeter. One of the things they did were these tie dyed shirts.


I went to the Middle School for the assembly that started first thing. The middle school bands play the Gilbert Fight Song at the beginning, and that is something I don't want to miss! I am a sucker for a marching band, and Cale has decided that this is his last year playing trumpet so this was the end of the road for him.

After the assembly, I headed over to the Elementary School were they were having Field Day with sack races, face painting, relay races and all sorts of fun outside activities. I had a hard time finding Jared and Trevor, but I did it!! As you can see, Trevor had already visited the face painting booth. I told him that I hardly recognized him with his new mustache! He asked me if I thought he looked old enough to vote. :)


His friend, Birk, had been to the face painting booth!


Jared is a HUGE fan of his 4th. grade teacher, Mrs. Jones. I think he may be a bit smitten with her, actually! He told Keith that he sort of wants to be held back a year so he can have her again next year. Mrs. Jones understands the mind of a 4th. grade boy. (I can't even say that's something I understand!!) She would spend time outside with them playing football when she grew tired of being inside. She is the high school softball coach so she could understand his love of baseball, and even came to one of Jared's games to watch him, and all of the other 4th. graders that were playing on both teams since that particular game was against another Gilbert team. The boys all LOVED that!!


I found them just as he was about to get his face painted, and I wanted to get a picture before he did. He did NOT want me to take this picture! I could tell that he was embarrassed, but she grabbed him for this one.


And then she thought we should take a nice one. He is really going to miss her next year. And frankly, so am I! I enjoyed getting to know her, too.



I had something to return to Trevor's teacher, Mrs. Clark, after school. Jared, Trevor and I walked in her room and she turned around with tears in her eyes, and saw us and started sobbing. I felt horrible that I had interrupted her good cry! She pulled herself together and had a good laugh, and got this picture. Trevor looked stunned when she was crying. He didn't know what to think, and at the same time, it was giving me a lump in MY throat! When we got home, Trevor looked at me and said "I didn't know that Mrs. Clark could cry that much!" Awww! I think that just shows how much she cares, and I love that! There weren't very many teachers with dry eyes in the halls of Gilbert Elementary!


We pulled the triple crown with Mrs, Clark! All 3 of the boys had her for 1st. grade and we consider ourselves very lucky! She is a wonderful and caring teacher and our kids really blossomed in her room. Her daughter, Dee Dee, is finishing her elementary education degree and helped out in the classroom through out the year. Trevor and I talked about how lucky she is to be learning from her Mom, and Trevor is hoping that HIS kids have her for 1st grade some time! I wanted to get a picture of all 3 boys with her, but Cale was in a hurry because he had baseball practice right after school. (That is a microphone around her neck. It looks sort of funny in this shot!)

BRING ON SUMMER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment