Friday, May 13, 2011

Flash Back-Team Life Savers: Cancer Sucks!

This was the 2007 Relay for Life in Gilbert. It isn't a very big event, but it is completely organized by the FCCLA at Gilbert High School, and I feel like the kids do a great job. The only other Relay that I have done was in Grinnell, and it is a large community event, with very reverent moments. Although the survivors lap and the caretakers lap around the high school track are very reverent, there is also dancing on the front stretch and loud music. I liked to see all of the kids turn out and have fun on a Friday night for a few hours.

My kids have even started to ask when it is each year. They look forward to waking around the track and finding their friends. 2007 is the year that my Aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Her luminary is on the left. The other 2 are for my Dad who is (to date!)a 10 year colon cancer AND lymphoma survivor. (Yes, he had them both at the SAME time!)



Trevor (with his signature sunglasses!) was only 3 this year and I can't even begin to tell you how many trips his little legs took around that track. He was such a trooper and had the time of his life. We kept finding new people to take him around.


This was not my first year to Relay, but it was the first year that I was part of a team with friends and neighbors. We met at my house and made our shirts. Those are Life Savers that we hot glued onto our T-shirts.



Here are the backs of our shirts. ("CANCER SUCKS") Love stencils and fabric paint!! We each picked the type of cancer that had effected us personally and then used the color that is associated with that cancer. I chose blue (colon cancer) and lime green (lymphoma)


My shirt is still hanging in the closet........

No comments:

Post a Comment