Thursday, July 28, 2011

We didn't see this one coming.....

Brace yourself....this has the potential to be a long post......I know that I already told you about Cale's Little League season. After that was over, he began playing for Gilbert Middle School's 7th. Grade team. His coach was Trent Becker, who is an amazing coach and role model for these kids. After one game, Cale told me that he was so thankful that Mr. Becker was his coach because he could hear the coach for the other team yelling at the other team while he was playing 3rd. base. He told me that Mr. Becker never yelled at them, and just told them not to worry about errors, we'd do better the next time. What a great experience for these 13 year olds!!

Before I can get too far into his season this year, first I have to take you back to 3rd and 4th. grade. Cale went through those 2 seasons without one single hit. In 3rd. grade he had some sort of a bulls eye on him because he was always getting hit by a pitch...some times more then once a game!! In 4th. grade I remember that I had to search the house for him when it was time for practice. I often found him under the bed hiding because he did NOT want to go to practice. After practice, I could hear him from downstairs crying in the shower. Partially, because his Dad could be a little hard on him, and partially because he wasn't having any fun. How fun is it when you aren't having ANY success?! It was in 4th. grade that I decided that I wasn't making him play any more. It was suppose to be fun, and he was miserable. Baseball isn't for everyone and that's OK. The next year he went to a mini camp over the winter, but still didn't want to play in 5th. grade. I stuck to my word and told him that was fine. Well, one night in the car, shortly before registration was due, he told me that he would give baseball one more shot. I was happy. His dad was thrilled! He had a few hits here and there during 5th. grade and some good defensive plays. He played again in 6th. grade, and did a little better then the year before. He was hooked on baseball at this point!! Keith has spent a lot of time with him in the batting cage over the last few years and it really was starting to pay off. We have told him over and over that somethings (it could be sports, it could be Math or English) come easier to some people then it does for others. Everyone can succeed, but some have to work harder, and he was going to be one of those who was going to have to work for it but that was OK...he would deserve everything good that came his way. Over this past winter, he spent 2 months with an indoor hitting league and got into the batting cage in February, and got to work on some pitching. I had other Dads tell me how hard he had worked and how when it clicked, he was going to be good. I was so proud of his efforts!


He started playing 7th. grade baseball...along with 23 other kids!! What do you do with 24 kids when only 9 can play at a time?? Mr. Becker did the best he could...most times they played it was a double header so there was an A and a B game. If there was only 1 game, Mr. Becker divided all the kids equally, and there was a red squad and a black squad. As I said, athletics isn't a natural thing for Cale, so I'm use to playing the B game. I wasn't prepared for the first game when I sat in the bleachers and found out that my son was going to be the starting pitcher for the B game! This game (and most of their games) were during the day, so Keith was working and couldn't come. I was busy texting him about how well he did....they won 12- 3 and he had a double and a single!

He played some on 1st. base, too.




He just hangs on every word from Coach Becker and Coach Maffit.


As the season went on, he played less in the B games and more in the A games. On this given night, he had played the entire A game at 3rd and sat with some of his friend keeping the books. He was over the moon with enthusiasm! I was over the moon for him!!


Then came the day that it was a little chilly and over cast. I was going to drive out to Casey's to get some cappuccino before the game. I have to drive by the baseball diamond and I saw that the game was starting. I scanned over the outfield for Cale. I could spot him by how high he wore his pant legs! He wasn't at his usual spots at 3rd or left field....then I found him! He was the starting pitcher for the A GAME!! I didn't see that one coming!! I turned around in the nearest driveway and went straight to the game! Casey's would have to wait!

He ended the season undefeated with a 5-0 record while he was pitching!


He ended the season with a .480 batting average. (For the record..major leaguers aim for a batting average over .300!!)


He loved playing 3rd. base! He loved the "hot corner"! He has a really strong arm and can throw it to first with good accuracy and get the out every time!



Uncle Kevin had to come to the last game to see what his nephew was up to this year! He was impressed with his improved abilities, too! By the time the season was only a quarter over, he was playing all of the A games, and just periodically in the B games.


Cale, I wasn't sure that we would see a season like this after your experiences in 3rd and 4th grade. I am so proud of how you stuck with it, and worked your tail off! You deserve all of the comments that other coaches and parents have had. A Dad of one of your teammates told me that the highlight of his baseball season was watching YOU have the success that you had. I was also told about a coaching newsletter that was sent out to other coaches in Gilbert that talked about you. It didn't mention you by name, but it talked about how you stuck with it, when others would have given up. I couldn't be happier for you, or more proud of you this year. It was a thrill for me to sit and watch you have the success that you deserve!! Love you!! Mom




Keith and I spent many late nights laying in bed talking about Cale and baseball this year. It always came back to "who would've thought...." And "I sure didn't see this coming!" He has become our poster child for never giving up, and how you just never know which kid is going to bloom early, or later then the others. We are so thrilled for him! Next year seems so far away!!

1 comment:

  1. what a great story! and even greater that you've written it all down so he will be able to read it again and again and even better that his kids will read it someday! love it. way to go, Cale!

    ReplyDelete