Friday, July 15, 2011

Flash Back--Franklin Couty Fair and a Trip to the Cemetery

2 years ago today, I took the boys up to Hampton to the Franklin County Fair. I have SO many memories of the fair from when I was little. My brothers and I would always go spend a good deal of time with my Aunt and Uncle during the fair. My cousins always had some livestock to show, and us city slickers would become farm kids for a few days. Those were some great times!!

We met my parents and my brother, Kevin in Latimer, first. Our first stop was the cemetery next to St. Paul's Lutheran Church. This was my Dad's church growing up and there is a good chance that we are related to the majority of people that still go to church there....not to mention those in the cemetery! Jared loves going to the cemetery with Keith's Mom and hearing all the stories about people who have died....he needs to know the how's and the why's! This was his first visit to this particular cemetery and he hung pretty close to my Dad because he knew most of the people there. We delivered flowers to my Grandparents and my Aunt. (The one that I had spent so much time with as a child.) We also put flowers on the grave of my Great-Grandpa. That is where Cale's interest peaked.

Here is Cale with the flowers that he brought for his Great-Great Grandpa Pralle. AUGUST Pralle. You see, Cale's full name is Cale AUGUST Jensen. He is always talking about his name sake even though he died years and years before Cale was born. In 1969 to be exact. At the age of 98.

This is a picture of Cale AUGUST with my brother, Kevin AUGUST, and my Dad, Marvin AUGUST. They were all named after my Dad's Grandpa. The other part of this story is that Cale was actually born on Kevin's birthday.....AUGUST 28! I remember growing up and everyone always thought that Kevin was named after the month in which he was born. I always thought that was strange, and then look.....I did the same thing to Cale!!

After we had all learned what we could at the cemetery, we went for lunch at the Latimer Golf Course where we met several of my aunts and uncles. Then it was off to the fair. The kids had a great time! They always ask about going back, but unfortunately they always have basketball camp during the fair. I'm still holding out hope to take them back some day.



There seemed to be some attractions with this coffin. Obviously, after going to the cemetery death doesn't necessarily bother me, but I just didn't see a real need to see my kids propped up in a coffin!!


We visited an old school house that has been placed on the fair grounds and restored. Inside was this map of the county and where all of the old country schools were. In the middle you can see the one marked "Honold." Well, Honold happens to be my maiden name. The Honold School was the particular school where my Dad, his siblings and his cousins went to school. It is also near where my Dad was raised.


And then there was Trevor. He loved the animals. Wasn't found of their smell, however, and thought that the goats were loud!


And we had to stop at the midway on the way out! Trevor had to ride some of the smaller rides, while my Dad took Cale and Jared to a couple of bigger rides. Next stop was dinner on the way out of Hampton and then a VERY quiet ride home. The boys were tired!


I loved that I could share this experience with them. I know that it wasn't exactly what I got to experience when I was there age, but they got the idea and I had a great trip down memory lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment