Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ronald McDonald House

This past spring, I decided that I wanted to do something with my boys this summer that made a difference. I am continually trying to tell my kids how lucky they are. They are lucky because of some of the things they get to do or see. They are lucky because they don't go to bed hungry. They are lucky because they are healthy and don't have to go to the doctor very often.

I saw a story on TV about the Ronald McDonald House and I decided that night that I had found our summer project. I told them about what great things the Ronald McDonald House does, and how they rely on donations. I suggested that we try and collect donations for the House and then we could deliver them. The boys thought that sounded like a great idea! They were all in!

We even talked about including their friends, Austin and Carter. I talked to their Mom, Lisa, and she said that she was thinking about something for her kids, too. So she thought this was a great idea!

We got together and made fliers and distributed them to our friends, family and neighbors. We even put information in the church bulletin and news letter. We had a great response!! The kids enjoyed seeing the things come in! I even took Cale and Jared to Sam's Club to spend some of the money that people had donated. They had a great time picking things off of the Ronald McDonald House Wish List.

Last Friday, Lisa and I and the 5 boys--ranging in age from 6-12--headed down to Des Moines to deliver our things. We were able to take more then 6 boxes of things and $120 worth of Gift Cards to Target and Hy-Vee. We also had enough money to allow a family to stay at the house for 15 nights.



I was so proud of all of the kids! I'm still not sure that they really understood everything that was going on, but it is a start. We are even considering doing this every summer. I told them they should be proud of themselves because they really did do a great thing.
WAY TO GO BOYS!!!

1 comment: